Want to send a survey to your customer when a case is resolved and have the response linked to the case in CRM? Here’s how: First, we’ll install a custom workflow assembly that will let us get a record’s ID so we can use it in a link. Then we’ll create the workflow that will send the link to the survey in an email.
- Download and import the “GetRecordId” solution. This works with CRM Online as well as CRM 2011 on-premise (NOTE: For CRM On-Premise, after importing the solution, you will need to use the Plugin Registration tool to change the GetRecordId assembly to non-isolated mode. See the Microsoft CRM SDK for more info).
This sample solution contains a custom workflow activity that we’ll use later. (This is not available for CRM 4.0, though there may be other solutions on Codeplex that will do the same thing.)
- Next, go to Settings > Processes and click “New” to create a new workflow process:
- Set the workflow scope to “Organization” and to start when the case’s record status changes:
- Add a “Check Condition” step to the workflow:
- Check that the Status Reason of the Case is “Problem Solved”:
- If you successfully imported the custom workflow activity in step 1, you’ll have an option to add a new custom step to the workflow, “GetRecordId”:
Add the “GetRecordId” step, and in the workflow designer, give it a simple name with no spaces such as GetId:
- Next, add a step to send an email (in this example, it’s a standard CRM email, not a ClickDimensions email):
Save your workflow. We need to get the URL of our survey before we compose the email.
- Open the ClickDimensions Survey web content record for your case satisfaction survey, and then click the “Design” button:
- In the Survey designer, click the Embed button to get the link to the survey. Copy the URL of the survey:
- Go back to your workflow and click the Set Properties button to compose the email. Add a hyperlink to the body of the email:
- The email body will now look like this:
- Place your cursor just after the link. We’re going to modify the link that is sent for the survey by adding two things: first a special parameter, and second, we’ll add the Record ID that the custom workflow step has generated:
After the survey link, type: ?p=1&_cld_incid=
Then, insert the dynamic value for the RecordId using the workflow’s dynamic values selector:
NOTE: Make sure to remove any blank spaces between the link URL and the RecordId placeholder. Blank spaces will make the link break.
- Now, when a case is resolved, CRM will send an email with your survey link, and it will have the case ID as a parameter in the URL:
- When the customer completes the survey, the Posted Survey record will be automatically associated with the Case record in CRM:
Now you can kick off other workflows, such as an alert when a Posted Survey is associated to a case. Or you can use the same concepts to solve other business problems. The custom workflow activity in step 1 can be used to get any record’s ID in a CRM workflow. For example, you can use this custom workflow step to get a Contact’s ID and save it to a custom field on the Contact record so you can use it to build links in ClickDimensions Email Templates.