What does it take to be successful in marketing? If you were asked that question, hard work might be the first thing that comes to mind, quickly followed by a laundry list of other responses. And while there are many ways to answer that question, we think that these seven traits and habits are essential for being a successful marketer today:
- Being adventurous. Some of the most successful and well-known brands are backed by adventurous marketers who are unafraid to take a risk or two. While “risk” might be a scary term in certain circles, it’s important to branch out and try new things in order to be the best marketer you can be. While the status quo can be effective, don’t be afraid to question your current methods and experiment with whether a different approach might yield even better results. With a marketing automation solution like ClickDimensions, you have many features at your fingertips that allow you to be adventurous. For example, if your company has never used SMS messaging, try incorporating it into your next campaign in the place of or in addition to an email message.
- Embracing data. The best marketers today embrace data. They want to know exactly who their customers are, how their campaigns perform, what works and what doesn’t, and so much more. The notion of data and how to collect it can be daunting, but technology is here to help. ClickDimensions generates a variety of data from your marketing efforts that can provide tremendous insights into customer and prospect behaviors, as well as the overall performance of your marketing initiatives. Learn more about ClickDimensions reporting here.
- A love of learning. Technology and customer behavior can now change seemingly in the blink of an eye. In order to keep up and be successful, marketers have to embrace learning like never before. Read blog posts like this one, download eBooks, subscribe to newsletters, attend conferences and networking events – in short, gather all the information you can about marketing today and how it is evolving. If you’re a ClickDimensions customer or partner, be sure to take advantage of all that ClickDimensions Academy has to offer.
- Caring about customers. Maintaining strong relationships with customers can facilitate brand advocates, third-party references, testimonials and content sharing. Highlighting a customer of the month in your newsletter, taking a client to dinner or simply remembering to send a birthday card or email are easy ways to show that you truly appreciate your customers. CRM and marketing automation technology can help automate some customer appreciation processes and remind you of important deadlines.
- Paying attention to detail. You never get a second chance to make a good first impression. That is as true in life as it is in marketing. Think of your own website as an example. If someone bounces when they get to your website, it could simply be because they realized your product or service wasn’t a good fit, or it could be something else entirely. Perhaps they couldn’t find a call-to-action quick enough or didn’t understand your positioning statement. Maybe they caught a misspelling or simply couldn’t find the information they were looking for. While it may seem trivial, all these scenarios are examples of a lack of attention to detail. Successful marketers look at every little detail of every piece of content and collateral to ensure maximum ROI.
- Being a good storyteller. As content marketing has gained favor among brands of all kinds, successful marketers must know how to tell a good story. Consumers are now increasingly aware of being marketed to, and many prefer to avoid the hard sell whenever and wherever they can. They instead prefer to be educated, entertained and inspired. Be genuine in your attempts to meet those preferences, and seek to make emotional connections with your brand.
- Patience. We all know patience is a virtue, right? It also comes in handy when you are looking to achieve marketing success. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither are successful marketing programs. While you need to be willing and able to experiment and try new things, it’s important to give each initiative time to yield results. From the hard work you are putting into your marketing efforts today, you may not see results for months or sometimes even years to come. While the wait may be difficult at times, it’s also well worth it.
Share your thoughts. What other habits you would add to the list?