Email send versus campaign automation – if you’re a ClickDimensions customer, you may have at some point debated which is best for a given marketing initiative. While both have similarities, such as the ability to deliver emails, there are also some distinguishing features. Campaign automation allows you to set up dynamic paths for a contact or lead to follow based on actions taken by that individual. The email send entity can be used for emails where you are changing the content frequently and each version is only timely once such as a newsletter, special promotion or company update. Below, we take a closer look at campaign automations and email sends, and when it is best to use each.
Reasons to leverage the email send entity would include:
- Specialized content. By leveraging an email template, you can standardize the look of your email while customizing the actual content for the email sends that you create. With our drag and drop editor, you can also lock blocks in the header and footer of emails. This is especially useful for compliance purposes like including a link to a subscription management option and having the physical address for your company in the footer of your email. It’s also helpful for brand standards like fonts, logos, hex colors and social media icons.
- Large volume sends. With email sends, you can leverage dynamic marketing lists. These are low-maintenance because they pull those who meet the criteria of the list at the time of send. Dynamic marketing lists are extremely useful when you want the list to automatically update based on advanced find criteria you can set, so you can often cast a wider net and gather more recipients for your send. Campaign automation, on the other hand, can only leverage static lists that must be compiled by the CRM user (this prevents a continual query and drain on your system’s resources).
- Advanced reporting. ClickDimensions email sends also provide a variety of reporting metrics. From the Sent view, you can easily measure sends against one another.
Or, you can get a summary of the statistics for a specific email send with the email statistics report for each record. This report includes an overview where you see the graphical statistics of the email send, click reports, recipients, a click heat map and even information on social shares.
Reasons to use a campaign automation include:
- Nurturing individuals. Campaign automation is a great way to go when you need to nurture particular leads or contacts. You can assign specific actions to occur based on common customer interactions. These emails can also be personalized through FreeMarker. But as opposed to one-time emails, these emails are usually designed to be more evergreen and optimize common business processes like welcome emails, form confirmation and gated content.
- Internal notifications and assignments. You can streamline business processes by sending out internal messages and assigning leads and contacts to specific owners. For example, if you have an event for an open house where you are monitoring for RSVPs. Once someone registers, a notification is then sent out to each member of your internal team letting them know about this registration. This can be achieved by using the Notify User action in the campaign automation builder.
- Reminders and confirmations. Campaign automations allow you to manage and automate a variety of messages going out to leads and contacts. These can be both emails or text messages and are particularly useful for scheduled appointments or notifications. For example, with things like product updates in a specific area, you could segment your campaign automations by region and set up text message reminders to go out in the weeks leading up to the update using the campaign automation Date Timer.
Wait timers can also be employed to maximize engagement. For example, if you want to send someone more details about an event a certain number of days after they register.